Le 26 mai 2010 à 15:10, vincent habchi a écrit :

> Le 26 mai 2010 à 14:53, Graham Cox a écrit :
>

>> On 26/05/2010, at 10:41 PM, vincent habchi wrote:
>>
>>> Hmmm... Let's say you have a class A with a private variable "priv" and b a
>>> pointer to a subclass of A. Is:
>>>
>>> [(A *)b priv]
>>>
>>> legal?
>>

>> No. It's not legal syntax for accessing an ivar in any case - square
>> brackets invoke a method:- [instance method].
>
> Granted. I assumed there was a getter defined. That's because, AFAIC, I
> almost always synthesize ivars, so they become regular attributes.
>
>> Perhaps you could ask is:
>>
>> (A*)b->priv legal?
>
> Yes. Indeed.
>
>> Depends. If priv is @private it is invisible to code other than within the
>> methods of class A itself, so if this code lived inside such a method it
>> would work, otherwise it would not. I don't think the cast makes any
>> difference.
>
> So, tell me if I'm wrong, but I infer from your answer that whatever I can
> do, there is no means for a subclass A' to access any private variable of its
> ancestor.
>
>> But this is not getting to the problem that the OP is having, which AFAICS
>> is unrelated to @private. @private is a Good Thing™ - often worth using.
>
> Well, as a regular Python code writer, I've never missed @private (or even
> @protected) declarations. I fail anyhow to grasp the relevancy of @private
> vis-à-vis @protected: It seems logical to me that subclasses be granted
> access to all ancestor attributes.

Why a subclass should have more right to mess up with private ivar than an
external class ?

Who knows what a class does when you set an ivar using the accessor. It would
badly break encapsulation principle.
For example, what would append if a NSView subclass change the view frame by
accessing the _frame ivar directly ?

-- Jean-Daniel