Jens,

> I think you’re confusing an inaccessible variable with an unused variable.
> Those are very different concepts. For example, NSView’s _frame instance
> variable is inaccessible from any subclass, but the variable is of course a
> crucial part of the view’s state and is accessed by lots of methods in NSView
> itself.

Okay, thanks for this and your enlightening further comments. I've never
touched Ruby, but I feel all right with Python :)

At the same time, I remember having this kind of weird behavior (I mean, one
variable unexpectedly written) when that variable has been (unexpectedly)
released, and its space is reused by some other variable.