On 27 May 2010, at 20:43, Bill Appleton wrote:

> *1) I can't hide a file, or test if a file is hidden*
>
> I had to resort to FSGetCatalogInfo -- there is no way to do it through
> NSFileManager, etc. Right?

chflags(), with UF_HIDDEN?  And stat() to read the same?

I don't think FSGet/SetCatalogInfo is deprecated on 64-bit though, so you could
just use that if you're more comfortable doing it that way.

> *5)** **I **can't create a simple list*
>
> I did it the only way I could -- with a table that has one column, etc. Man
> that was painful for a simple list. Is there a better way?

It's not *that* painful.  In fact, if you use bindings and an
NSArrayController, it's pretty much done for you.

> *6)** **I **can't get the height of some wrapped text*
>
> I had to use the layout manager and some major rocket science to get this to
> work right. I'm not saying Text Edit was great, but at least it knows how
> tall the text field is.

NSAttributedString's -boundingRectWithSize:options: is probably helpful for
this, depending on exactly what size you're after (there's more than one
possible set of dimensions you might care about, depending on exactly what
you're doing).

Cocoa Text is, I think, a bit daunting when you first encounter it; it's very
powerful and exposes a great deal of the underlying machinery behind text
rendering, but the flip-side of that is that it's a huge API and that alone can
be off-putting.  I think once you get over that, it's actually pretty easy to
use---and if you're worried that it all seems a bit heavyweight to "just" draw
a string, remember that most of what it does is actually necessary to get the
string on the display, so all of the simpler APIs you might have used
previously were still doing all of the same work (give or take).

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--
http://alastairs-place.net