On May 27, 2010, at 12:43 PM, Bill Appleton wrote:

> there were some things i
> noticed that i couldn't do easily in Cocoa or any other 64 bit OSX API.

Cocoa doesn’t claim to do everything. There are a lot of tasks that should be
done using lower level APIs.

> *1) I can't hide a file, or test if a file is hidden*
> I had to resort to FSGetCatalogInfo

I’m pretty sure FSGetCatalogInfo is available in 64-bit. It’s not deprecated
and it’s not part of the High-Level Toolbox.

> *2)** **I **can't **get the current caret blink rate in milliseconds*
> I used to call GetCaretTime, but now I just use 500 milliseconds. Eeek!

OS X hasn’t ever had a UI to change the caret blink time, so I think you can
safely hardcode it.

(Although I can’t think of why you’d need this unless you’re implementing your
own text editing system from scratch, which is a pretty scary thought. If
you’re doing that, there are a zillion other expected text behaviors you’ll
need to get right, that are a lot more important than the blink rate.)