On May 28, 2010, at 11:20 AM, Bill Appleton wrote:

> on printing, the problem is that i have to port an enterprise application
> that expects to be able to call a fx for the page layout and the page setup
> dialog, a fx to begin/end a page, and a fx to begin/end printing.
>
> so Cocoa has this amazing system where you initiate printing and the
> printing system CALLS YOU with these requirements, but i need something
> where i CALL THEM because i have to port lots of other code.

Have you considered creating a "go-between" object that would implement the
APIs your code expects.  And, would also implement the required Cocoa delegate
APIs?  Your app code then sets info/state on your object which in turn can be
passed along when the Cocoa delegate methods get called.

Note that this may be an extreme simplification.  I have no idea on the order
of operations of both APIs and thus don't know if they will work well together
using this approach.

Maintaining state in your go-between object may also get tricky.