On 1 Jun 2010, at 00:33, Jn wrote:

> That's a good point that I hadn't given much thought to what happens when the
> net is down. I wasn't too worried about only supporting Mail.app because I
> was going to give them a way to also enter their smtp settings manually. But
> using your framework that only supports 3 mailers with no thunderbird and no
> access to web based mail ( for people who use it via web) seems like a pretty
> big problem also.

Oh, indeed, it isn't a perfect solution.

> I wonder if the solution might be a framework that sends it directly via smtp
> but which automatically caches it and tries to keep resending if the net is
> down?

Yes, that would make sense.  It would need to be configurable from System
Preferences, and you'd probably want a launch agent to automatically try
delivery again when the network status changes.

Ideally when it installed you'd want to grab the user's mail settings from
wherever they might currently be :-)

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--