On Jun 21, 2010, at 1:33 AM, Steve Steinitz <stein...@datatactics.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Kyle,
>
> On 20/6/10, Kyle Sluder wrote:
>
>> Be aware that as of 10.6, this is an officially unsupported
>> configuration, prone to breaking in point releases as happened in
>> 10.6.2.
>
> Yes, we are more careful with Mac OS X updates now.

Eek, that makes me nervous. Holding off on important security-improving updates
for the sake of internal software is how Windows machines became such a
problem. Quite frankly I think Apple has a lot left to learn about managing the
security life cycle of their products. Microsoft learned those lessons the hard
way.

>> See Ben Trumbull's post here for the nitty-gritty:
>> http://lists.apple.com/archives/cocoa-dev/2010/Mar/msg01026.html
>
> That email was a direct reply to my email.

I should have noticed that.

> Ben and I then spent a wonderful week making the App work better than it ever
> had before.  He showed me techniques of performance monitoring and
> optimization that I might never have discovered.  I smile just recalling it.
> He even poured over various instrument outputs and made golden suggestions
> which I've only now finished implementing (and debugging).
>
> The App is absolutely singing.

Good to hear. :)

>> Core Data stickies shows the basics of synchronizing multiple data stores.
>
> I might have a look.
>
>> To solve your problem,
>
> Do I have a problem?

I meant "problem" in the sense of "the problem of Point of Sale systems," like
one would refer to "the Traveling Salesman problem."

I understand your solution works for you now. My principal concern would be if
the march of time makes life difficult for you. Eventually machines will die
and need to be replaced with ones running an OS that is likely to break your
shared persistent store configuration. Or, you might expand the number of
installations and find that maintaining a synchronized state of the world
across a larger network or a geographic separation is impossible, and that
you'll need to add reconciliation functionality anyway. Then of course there's
the matter of the network going down; do you want to put your entire business
on hold because your POSes can't communicate with the shared persistent store,
while you run around trying to troubleshoot?

I believe you implied at some point that this is actually a client project. If
your client is reasonable, you might be able to score a long-term extension to
the contract. :)

Best of luck,
--Kyle Sluder