On 02/07/2010, at 6:01 PM, sebi wrote:

> When I download an image and want to keep it for further reference, I assume
> I have to store it in the documents directory and not in the app bundle,
> because otherwise I would invalidate the signature and the app wont run
> anymore. Is this correct?

Mac or i<Device>?

It's just not a good idea to ever treat your app bundle as a writable location.
It wouldn't necessarily break code signing (???) but depending on what
privileges your user is running with could fail anyway. Basically you don't
want to be modifying your app as it runs.

But a better location than Documents is ~/Library/Application
Support/<YourApp>/<subdirectories as needed>

> Background: I write a catalog app that is delivered with a bunch of images
> already that are in some folder hierarchy in the app bundle. As the user
> looks through the catalog, new images are loaded from the web. I would like
> to store these new images in the same directory as the original ones since
> otherwise I would have to manage two separate image locations. If I can't
> store the images in the app bundle together with the others I'm reduced to
> two options, if I see it correctly: Duplicate the original images to the
> documents directory (waste of memory) or manage two image folders
> (administrative overhead). Does anyone have a better idea? Maybe use of
> file-aliases?

Managing two (or more) folders or sources shouldn't be a big headache if you
design it with that in mind from the start. The user interface and the data
model behind it can consolidate various locations on disk (or web-based) into
one big virtual space if you want - I do that with several managed resource
types in my app and it works nicely. From experience I'd say that copying
bundle-based resources to another folder at first launch is a waste of time and
effort (not so much memory though, as disk space is generally abundant) - I did
it that way in earlier versions and regretted it.