I posted about this in the CocoaTouch developer forum, with no
response.  I am bringing my problem here in the forlorn, last hope
that someone who reads this newsgroup but not that forum knows
something that will assist me.

I am developing an iPad app under Xcode/IB/iPhone-simulator
3.2.2.  (I have had enough bugs with later versions of the
software to have had to deinstall them.)  This version is
available to all developers, so I presume I can discuss it
here.

My app has one view controller, and in it, the method
"shouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation" exists, is being compiled,
(I temporarily put a syntax error in it to make sure), and
returns an unqualified "YES".

However, that method is not being called -- I added an NSLog
statement in it, and see no output.  The app does come up in
the simulator and starts to run, in portrait mode with the
button at the bottom.  However, when I rotate the simulator,
the app rotates with it as the simulated iPad turns,
exactly as you would expect of an app locked in portrait
mode with the button at the bottom.  The rotating part includes
not just my own view, but also the top bar with time, battery
charge, and WiFi state in it.

I am not sure what questions to ask, but (1) is there something
I am missing in the Xcode project settings that would cause the
OS to think my app is restricted to that orientation, and (2)
what exactly is it that calls this method in the first place,
and what object is it that receives the method.  (I can probably
chase down a problem with delegates or the responder chain if
I know where to start.)

There is a lot of stuff on the web and in archives dealing with
problems with this method, but nothing that seems relevant to
my particular problem.

Thanks.

--  Jay Reynolds Freeman