Sandro Noël wrote:

There is no need for that data to be backed up anywhere, as it is retrievable from the web service. the cached data is used for offline operations and later synced back to the web service.

We want to control when the data becomes available in an unencrypted format. and that would be when our application is the active application, otherwise in the background or
terminated, the data is encrypted and inaccessible.

Then you need encryption and key management. When your application becomes inactive, the protected data must become inaccessible. That means you must securely delete the decryption key. When your application becomes active, you must securely obtain a decryption key, which allows access to the protected data. There are different ways of doing those things. If you don't have good key management, it won't matter how well the data is encrypted, because an easily accessible key is the weakest point.

You might get better or more specific advice on the CDSA list:

CDSA = Common Data Security Architecture

  -- GG