On 2 Aug 2010, at 18:37, Sandro Noël wrote:

>> I suppose it might depend on what data you're talking about.  If it's
>> application configuration data, then it definitely should be backed up via
>> the usual methods.  If it's some kind of cache of data from an external
>> source, then perhaps it doesn't need to be backed up.
>
> The data is definitely cached and it is not part of the "settings" I'm aiming
> at the data store.
> the application sync's the data from a in-house web service provider, and
> then stores it into a Core Data SQLite store.
>
> There is no need for that data to be backed up anywhere, as it is retrievable
> from the web service.
> the cached data is used for offline operations and later synced back to the
> web service.

There are some locations you can write files that won't get backed up by iTunes
(and when the content is recoverable as you say, it's fine to put the files in
those areas). If you write to Library/Caches or tmp, you don't get backed up.
Here's a link:
http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/documentation/iphone/conceptual/iphoneosprogrammingguide/RuntimeEnvironment/RuntimeEnvironment.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007072-CH2-SW1

Cheers,
Graham.