On Aug 2, 2010, at 4:47 PM, Tony Romano wrote:

> I have an NSPanel and I want to change the look of the min button and
> completely hide the resize button.  The min button I want to make into a
> bezel style of a disclosure triangle.  I am using this line of code to access
> the min button but it returns nil in my controllers' windowDidLoad.
>
> NSButton *minButton = [[self window]
> standardWindowButton:NSMiniaturizableWindowMask];
>
> Just as a test, I changed to style mask to NSClosableWindowMask and it does
> return the correct theme widget.  Not sure why the min mask is not returning
> the correct widget.  Also, any comment on the approach or should I be looking
> at a completely different path?  I know one alternatively is to completely
> write my own header and draw things the way I want.
>
> The second question is, how do I completely hide the resize button, it's
> disabled via IB, but the button still shows(albeit disabled).
>
> Thanks,
> -Tony
Please avoid confusing users if at all possible by adhering to the Human
Interface Guidelines.
Make sure your app really has valid reasons to
One reason this is not easy to do is so that we don't end up with crazy
thoughtless interfaces as often as other platforms do.

The reason these appear but are disabled is that standard window and panel
behavior includes this and the user needs to see it is grayed out to understand
intuitively that that button is currently disabled.

That said, check out the sample code for Core Data Stickies to see how to build
your own window styling.

Again, read the HIG, adhere to it and common Mac application paradigms or users
will just hate your application.

One business case for HIG adherence is reduced support costs  because your
users will intuit the interface more...