Honestly guys, I have no devious motives here ! :-)  I am not trying to take
any shortcuts, I am just trying to learn the correct way to do things.  There
are programs such as Photoshop, OmniGraphSketcher that do similar things.  For
this UI, I am trying to follow precedence.  I know the Omni code is completely
custom drawn.  I know Photoshop doesn't use cocoa as of CS4 so it must be
custom as well.

Right now I have 4 inspectors, it may go to 5 but thats about it.  I can easily
put the disclosure triangle on the content view and be done with it.
Unfortunately, I still don't understand what I need to do to make my original
proposal work short of creating my own "Inspector Panel" class.  Is it possible
using NSPanel as it stands or do I need to do a bunch of custom code.

By using a tab-less NSTabView, NSTabViewItems and a NSToolBar combined with the
NSPanel, I get like 80% of the functionality of nice inspectors.  I can make
the inspector show/hide while keep the Panel toolbar visible and other cool
stuff.  I realize that last 20% can consume a lot more time then I spent on the
first 80% and, as you say, it may not be worth it.

I really appreciate the feedback!
-Tony
On Aug 2, 2010, at 3:51 PM, Quincey Morris wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2010, at 15:31, Tony Romano wrote:
>
>> Changing the argument to the correct flag gets me the button, however,
>> setting the style doesn't have any effect.  I moved the code to
>> initWithContentRect: post the call to super, still no change.  I
>> introspected the view with F-Script and it has the bezel style I set but the
>> window still draws the standard widget. Any other ideas?
>
> Yes -- don't do that. :)
>
> You're trying to take a shortcut by trying to get NSPanel to provide
> inspector behavior that it doesn't have. This is not a great idea, not least
> for the reason that it risks breaking when panels or the standard buttons are
> implemented differently.
>
> How many of these inspectors do you have? Unless you have a *lot*, it
> probably isn't worth spending your time to do it this way -- leave the panel
> title bar alone and put your disclosure triangle at the top of the panel
> content view.
>
> The behavior you're trying to imitate here (say, Photoshop's) is designed to
> deal with having lots and lots of inspectors, has a fairly complex
> implementation that doesn't entirely depend on standard NSWindow or NSPanel
> behavior (AFAIK), and goes hand in hand with lots of other sophistication,
> such as docking of palettes, draggable palette tabs, which are even more work
> that might not be appropriate for your app.
>
> Why not do the "obvious" thing (if you haven't already), and "waste" the
> height of the NSPanel title bar (put the disclosure triangle in the panel
> content view), and see who complains about it -- and, far more importantly,
> *what* they complain about. Maybe your real problem will be that you have too
> many inspectors, not that the individual inspectors are too big vertically.
>
> It seems to me that (unless you've gone through all of these factors already)
> you're indulging yourself in something similar to premature optimization.

> This email sent to tony...@hotmail.com

-Tony