On Aug 2, 2010, at 15:31, Tony Romano wrote:

> Changing the argument to the correct flag gets me the button, however,
> setting the style doesn't have any effect.  I moved the code to
> initWithContentRect: post the call to super, still no change.  I introspected
> the view with F-Script and it has the bezel style I set but the window still
> draws the standard widget. Any other ideas?

Yes -- don't do that. :)

You're trying to take a shortcut by trying to get NSPanel to provide inspector
behavior that it doesn't have. This is not a great idea, not least for the
reason that it risks breaking when panels or the standard buttons are
implemented differently.

How many of these inspectors do you have? Unless you have a *lot*, it probably
isn't worth spending your time to do it this way -- leave the panel title bar
alone and put your disclosure triangle at the top of the panel content view.

The behavior you're trying to imitate here (say, Photoshop's) is designed to
deal with having lots and lots of inspectors, has a fairly complex
implementation that doesn't entirely depend on standard NSWindow or NSPanel
behavior (AFAIK), and goes hand in hand with lots of other sophistication, such
as docking of palettes, draggable palette tabs, which are even more work that
might not be appropriate for your app.

Why not do the "obvious" thing (if you haven't already), and "waste" the height
of the NSPanel title bar (put the disclosure triangle in the panel content
view), and see who complains about it -- and, far more importantly, *what* they
complain about. Maybe your real problem will be that you have too many
inspectors, not that the individual inspectors are too big vertically.

It seems to me that (unless you've gone through all of these factors already)
you're indulging yourself in something similar to premature optimization.