On 16 Aug 2010, at 23:00, Gideon King wrote:

> I was at a WWDC session several years ago (maybe about 5 years?) where
> exactly this question was asked of John Geleynse at one of the sessions. He
> said definitively that you could use the icons of applications that come with
> the system so long as their purpose was not altered (e.g. you could not use
> the address book icon to represent a dictionary or something like that). It's
> all about the best user experience.

Yes, I recall this too.  It was either 2005 or 2007, not sure which.
Definitely one or the other though.

However, I'm not certain that this was an "official" policy, more of a
statement that Apple unofficially "didn't mind" if you used its icons, on its
platforms, for the same specific purpose and with the same specific meaning
that it was using them for.  He may even have gone as far as saying that from a
UI perspective it was preferable to use the same icon for the same thing
everywhere (I don't recall exactly), but again I wouldn't take that as Apple's
official position on the subject.

We've previously been admonished several times for discussing this topic on
cocoa-dev, so probably best not to let it go on too long.

On 17 Aug 2010, at 06:37, Ryan Joseph wrote:

> I actually wanted to use their icons in my application *icon* and
> distribute/market it, not just use them in the app via those APIs. From what
> others said this is forbidden even though I have seen other apps do the same
> thing.

It's safer to draw your own app icons (or pay someone to do it for you);
nothing wrong with making them look *like* Apple's icons in that context, of
course---that's what we do with iDefrag and iPartition, both of which have a
disk icon reminiscent of the one Apple uses.

If you're unsure, why not ask Apple?  You should be able to ask DTS to put you
in touch with the right people.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--