On Nov 7, 2010, at 6:05 AM, eveningnick eveningnick wrote:
>>> I assume i should call a one run through the runloop manually, but how?
>> I recommend that you not attempt to "invert" the event loop or build one
>> yourself.  The "modal session" methods of NSApplication
>> (-beginModalSessionForWindow:, -runModalSession:, and -endModalSession:)
>> seem like a good fit for your requirements.  It does entail implementing
>> your long operation as a bunch of short work units.
>>
> Could you please explain what will happen when i call these methods?

<http://www.google.com/search?q=beginModalSessionForWindow+site:developer.apple.com>

(The "site:developer.apple.com" is a handy trick.)

<http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/WinPanel/Concepts/UsingModalWindows.html>

<http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/Classes/NSApplication_Class/Reference/Reference.html>

I think it would be better to refer to specific parts of the docs that are not
clear than to ask a general "what will happen" question.

That said, I wonder if anyone knows of a blog entry or Apple example that
specifically shows how to display progress in a modal window or sheet.

--Andy