On Nov 17, 2010, at 8:47 AM, Matt Neuburg wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2010, at 9:26 AM, Jonathon Kuo wrote:
>
>> I agree: that's how I expected it to work, too, but that's not how it does
>> work (Xcode 3.2.4). If I drag a Round Rect Button onto the Toolbar, it
>> instantly gets promoted to a UIBarButtonItem (really!), and I can't set
>> "Touch Down" on it, nor can I change the class of it in IB. That's why I'm
>> confused...
>
> The Round Rect button that is dragged into the toolbar is not "promoted" to
> anything. It is wrapped in a UIBarButtonItem, exactly as Dave (and I
> advised). If you don't understand how to select the button itself using the
> design window, then use List View in the nib's main document window and drill
> down until you find it. m.

Thank you Matt for the clear explanation (and your patience with a noob)! I got
access to the button from the List view and set the Touch Down event on the
button. It works!

One question though: Taking another poster's suggestion, I placed a UISwitch in
the toolbar and set Touch Down on it. It does register, but only for the OFF ->
ON transition. Switching it from ON -> OFF doesn't invoke the action method.
Should I be using one of the other events to capture both state transitions?

Thanks again!