On Dec 13, 2010, at 5:54 AM, Abhijeet Singh wrote:

> Hi,I am new to Mac. In my application I have to read a text file (say
> file1.txt) from a user defined location/path. User defines this filepath in
> another text file (say file2.txt). My program first reads file2.txt and gets
> the path of file1.txt from there. file2.txt always exists on my machine but
> file1.txt can be anywhere on network. My question is if user wants to define
> some network file path then:How to define a network file path? (I tried
> keeping file1.txt over a network and define its path as given in "Get Info"
> panel in file2.txt)

That depends on the type of file server you're using. AFP? FTP? SFTP? HTTP?
NFS? rsync? TFTP?

> How to read a file over a network? (I am reading file using C functions
> fopen, fscanf, fgets. Do i need to use any function from cocoa?)

That also depends on the type of file server you're using. If it's FTP or HTTP,
then use NSURLConnection or NSURLDownload. If it's AFP or NFS, then once the
server is mounted locally, the path is /Volumes/{server name as it appears in
the Finder}/. If it's anything else, then check out libcurl.

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>