On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 14:05:38 +1100, BareFeetWare
<list.develo...@barefeetware.com> said:
> 1. Apple Mail. If you reply to a messages containing multi-colored text, you
> can edit that text.
>
> So my question is, how do they do it?

Okay, I see now that there's a UITextInput protocol allowing you to design your
own widgets that interact with the text input system. So in theory you could do
that, and draw with Core Text. Indeed, the docs suggest that you would do
exactly that.

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/StringsTextFonts/Conceptual/TextAndWebiPhoneOS/CustomTextProcessing/CustomTextProcessing.html

Unfortunately they make reference to a non-existent example project called
SimpleTextInput which, as has been pointed out here before, doesn't exist.

http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/cocoa/294182-where-is-simpletextinput-sample-code-project.html

This sort of thing makes me wonder whether the protocol is somehow insufficient
to work as advertised. Otherwise, why would Apple withdraw the only example
illustrating it? And why wouldn't they talk about it at WWDC? Still, this is
clearly the direction to go. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = m...@tidbits.com, <http://www.apeth.net/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!