On Dec 17, 2010, at 12:27 AM, Stephen J. Butler wrote:

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Ulf Dunkel
<dun...@calamus.net<mailto:dun...@calamus.net>> wrote:
Hi Stephen.

My issue:
When I search for an existing folder named "äöütest", it isn't found,
until
I enter the search string not via keyboard to a search field in my app,
but
copy it from the folder name in the Finder and paste it to the search
field
in my app.

Some code here would help figure out what is wrong.

Well, it's not really *my* app, so I cannot provide code right now. :-)

The quick and dirty: in Unicode there is more than one way to
represent "ä". You can represent it as "ä" or "a" followed by a
special 'character' umlaut. There might be more, I'm not that much of
an expert. Which form you use is call the normal form:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_equivalence

The OS X filesystem API's expect only one (IIRC Normal-D). If you use
all the proper APIs and modern conventions you won't have a problem.

This is not actually true. We ran into issues where NSDocument fileURL returned
differently composited URL to what it was given in
openDocumentWithContentsOfURL:

We were opening the files by dragging onto the app from the Finder, so there
was no other
string manipulation happening.

We do this to check whether two URLs really refer to the same file (you can
also hit issues when using NSString path manipulation to build paths and then
turn them into URLs):

   /*
    * [NSURL isEqualTo:] fails when a path has a trailing slash and
    * an otherwise matching one doesn't. Standardize the path first
    * and use localizedCompare in case the characters were composited
differently.
    */
   if ([[[self path] stringByStandardizingPath]
         localizedCompare:[[inURL path] stringByStandardizingPath]] ==
NSOrderedSame) {
      return YES;
   }
   return NO;