On 27 Dec 2010, at 2:04 PM, vincent habchi wrote:

> Knowing that the path is computed by reading values in a database, I'd like
> to avoid a double reading that costs some time (even if there is a cache) and
> seems redundant

Ancient precept: Make it right, then make it fast. Do it the simplest
reasonable way, even if you can imagine a "more efficient" way to do it. Then
measure.

The way you describe it, the underlying data has to be cached somewhere. The
maker of the database has had years to tune the DB's cache. Better you should
rely on that, than spend days in the hope that you can come up with something
better in a week. If the performance doesn't turn out to be acceptable, at
least you'll know you won't be wasting your time.

        — F