Here is some proof that it is still in memory, I waited about 5 minutes and it
didn't dealloc automatically like you said it will...

<<inline: PastedGraphic-1.png>>

When I wrap a NSAutoreleasePool around the notification method, it releases as
expected. I cannot have my application doing this as it is a background
application and I'm sure people wouldn't want to have it taking 1GB after
leaving it running for 2 hours. Now that you know that I know what I'm talking
about. How about an answer? Is it because the application that sends the
distributed notification does not have a autorelease pool made around the
posting or is it because it's a distributed notification. I'm positive that no
other type of notification has this problem. I would think it's something like
NSConnection where if the application calling a method is calling it without a
autorelease pool and the method it's calling creates a object and just adds it
to the autorelease pool when there isn't one, it'll just leak without anyway to
know of it without looking at objects created and not released in instruments.