I burned myself today with a pattern I've been using for ages. I have lots of
UIView subclasses which could be initialized with initWithFrame: or
initWithCoder: so I have one -(void)internalInit method which I call from both
of them to do the real work. Of course eventually I went and subclassed one of
my own classes and the call to internalInit inside the init method of the
superclass was routed to the subclass one (which then got called again of
course when the subclass called it), result, badly initialized superclass,
leaky subclass.

ok in objective-C init just isn't special so I shouldn't have expected it to
call the local init. Is there a way I could have forced the call to be
interpreted at the superclass level, or should I change my 'internalInit' to
'internalInit<myClassNameHere>' to stop this happening?