On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 4:38 PM, WT <jrca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How about using a property list file instead? Easier to import and export,
> and can be edited with tools such as Property List Editor, though your users
> might not know how to use it, or even have it.

I'd recommend *not* going the property list route. Property lists have
a very simple internal structure that makes it difficult to express
things like references to other objects. They're also pretty slow,
particularly the XML flavor.

Also, don't use NSKeyedArchiver. That ties your on-disk representation
to whatever class hierarchy was used to produce that file.

Using a custom XML format is definitely the way to go, especially if
you publish a DTD. It makes it easy for others to import your file or
otherwise manipulate it using the rich set of XML tools on the market,
including XSLT. A custom format means you can be much more selective
in the amount of processing you perform on input, speeding up your
import process.

--Kyle Sluder