I think your statement "I cannot make a decision which technique I should use,"
says it all.

The problem is your looking at this from the prospective of a script writer,
not a programmer with at least three possible options (NSStream, BSD socks,
etc), of which YOU need to choose which is best. The list has given you quite a
few choices, and everyone has chimed in on their preferences. You are use to
having one way of having it done, most likely with plenty of cookie cut code to
go with it.

Personally, I write as much of my code in C, and only use objective-C when I
have too. this keeps the base as portable as possible. Frankly you could even
write your one low-level io if you really like pain. This depends on many
factors:

1) Number of transactions
2) size of each transaction
3) Number of persistent connection
4) Do you need RTSP for time sensitivity
5) Do you need custom packets
6) etc....