On 16-May-2011, at 9:50 PM, Alexander Zvyagin wrote:

>> Thanks for the clarification.  But the developer still had to transition
>> _his code_ from non-GC to either 1) GC-only and drop 32 bit (likely not
>> desirable) or 2) dual mode.
>
>> I think most developers would have accepted a loss of _binary_
>> compatibility of their ibplugins, after all the target users of
>> ibplugins are developers themselves.  Refactoring to support dual mode
>> and rebuilding would not be a big burden.
>
>> (In my case, my code is GC-only and 64 bit only.  I had to go backwards
>> and make it support non-GC to get my ibplugin working.)
> In my case, ibplugins are fully custom animated controls used from inside IB
> to safe coding time, and only one
> application source and bundle must be compatible with three OSX versions at
> the same time: 10.5 + 10.6 + 10.7
>
> There are typical requirements for developers making big projects instead of
> home maded iPhone games.

Very good. Some of us writing homemade iPhone games would also rather
appreciate the ability to make plugins too, we would have appreciated it in
XCode 3.x and we'd (well I would) still appreciate it in 4.x too. I have some
standard controls I've written which I'd really prefer to be able to set up in
IB instead of having to drag on a generic class and then copy/paste boilerplate
code to make it work. If you haven't filed a bug report against XCode 4, please
do so, I filed one against 3 for iOS plugins and one against 4 for plugins in