On May 25, 2011, at 8:27 PM, Jens Alfke wrote:

On May 25, 2011, at 7:34 PM, James Merkel wrote:

Security shouldn't be an issue -- this application is for home use only. Allowing searches only of the home directory might be a reasonable approach.

Seems like a bad restriction. People may keep some of their files outside their home directory (I do). And what about scanning external disks like CD-Rs or flash drives?

Of all the directory-scanning apps I’ve seen (OmniDiskSweeper, GrandPerspective, etc.) I can’t think of any that restrict what directory you can scan.

—Jens

What I'm trying to do is add a feature to my application that allows a user to search and make changes to image files that are in subfolders. (Right now you can just make changes in a folder). This isn't a general disk sweeper application.

But I agree, I need to allow for the case of searching other drives etc. For example a digital camera looks like an external volume. So it would be useful to actually make changes to the images in camera.