>Unfortunately, somebody decided a long time ago, the same can't be done for
>integers, because there's no infinite-range numerical space available to
>machine computation (in any way that mainstream hardware supports directly),
>and no single finite-range space that (as in the floating point case)
>encompasses the others.

Smalltalk integers appeared to all be of the same Integer class, but behind the
scenes they'd switch from primitive smallints to objects once they hit the
smallint max (29 bits in 32-bit address space). But unless you were inside the
virtual machine you couldn't tell objects from primitives anyway - every single
thing you dealt with was an object.

But in a hybrid like ObjC, we sometimes have to play by C rules.