Actually, I wasn¹t talking about tiled layers, although that might also be
relevant.  I was talking about tiled views.  There is some sample code
available for tiled views, but it took some massaging to get it to do what I
wanted.  I only tiled my view vertically and used half of a screen height
for each tile, so it only used three actual tiles to render a very long text
view.  I was thinking that maybe each view tile could be layer backed and
(when squeezed down) use a high-density layer (if that¹s possible), so that
it comes out right when scaled back up.