Of course they are not designed for atomic operations, you have to add all
the critical sections to make it so. If you argue that you don't need the
multi threaded robustness, then you could argue the value hooking the
setter diminishes the benefit of using the synthesis feature since you are
writing the setter anyways.

Tony Romano