Well, let's think about it.  "Instance variables" are only accessible as long
as you have an instance, right?  You can't have an instance variable without an
instance.  So if you set "self" to nil... then you no longer have an instance.
Thus, you cannot access self's instance variables, because there is no self.

Sorry I don't have a doc link for you; perhaps someone more well-versed with
the documentation search tools than I can find something relevant.  :)

Dave