On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Steve Christensen <puns...@mac.com> wrote:

> Is there any reason why you can't put the downloaded file in your app's
> private cache directory (.../<appdir>/Library/Caches), i.e., what gets
> returned by NSSearchPathForDirectoriesInDomains(NSCachesDirectory,
> NSUserDomainMask, YES)? That should certainly be within the bigger app
> directory hierarchy, and thus a peer of the app's Documents directory.

Can't? No. My preference for NSTemporaryDirectory() was mainly the notion
that I had help from the OS in clearing out any old partial downloads that
whatever weird circumstances might have orphaned.

But I'm not sure that it'd matter. Even when I moved the file from there to
the NSItemReplacementDirectory given by the file manager,
-replaceItemAtURL:... was still behaving identically. (See my previous
message for the details.)

Sixten