I have a Cocoa/Foundation application running in the background that receives a
1MB block of data, processes it, and sends back a new 1MB block of data using
TCP/IP over the internet. The program takes a couple of minutes to come up and
initialize, so it needs to be up and stay up waiting for processing requests.
Now my boss wants to extend this to having multiple copies of the program
running so that it can handle a dozen or so simultaneous users. Design-wise,
should I have a lightweight front-end process that accepts all inbound requests
and then dispatch the requests to one of the other idling processes? Or is
there some standard Cocoa way to handle a farm of processes? GCD? I've looked
at Xgrid but that seems batch/file/local oriented. OSX 10.6.8