On Sep 13, 2011, at 11:11 AM, Jon Sigman wrote:

> Startup involves loading a >1GB data matrix from disk into memory.
> Transformations are then done using this matrix on the 1MB data blocks that
> are sent in via TCP/IP. That's why I can't simply start new tasks on-demand,
> the startup time is prohibitive so that complicates things. The first option
> (multiple processes) seems more robust but also harder to implement. Are
> there any design guidelines for implementing a "server" in Cocoa?

- Is that 1GB matrix static & unchanging, read-only? If so, you might be able
to use shared memory between the processes to avoid loading it more than once.

- A couple of minutes still seems like a long time to load it. Perhaps there is
a more efficient way to store & load it?

You can probably find some basic sample code for a Cocoa server online, but
much of what you need to do here is going to be at a lower level.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_r...@elevated-dev.com