> The first thing I'd look at, is what is going on for a couple of minutes
>while the program is coming up? Would that have to happen for every process???

Startup involves loading a >1GB data matrix from disk into memory.
Transformations are then done using this matrix on the 1MB data blocks that are
sent in via TCP/IP. That's why I can't simply start new tasks on-demand, the
startup time is prohibitive so that complicates things. The first option
(multiple processes) seems more robust but also harder to implement. Are there
any design guidelines for implementing a "server" in Cocoa?