On Sep 18, 2011, at 9:59 PM, Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Save As is used for saving as a different format - not just in many apps, but
> by default if you have NSDocument set up just so. I'm not sure how that
> behaviour is handled with Lion's autosave enabled, but in 10.6 and earlier,
> Save As automatically adds a format menu if your document supports multiple
> formats.

I would argue encoding is not a format. But I agree the Save panel is the
correct place to put the Encoding selector, *unless* the encoding is an
integral part of the document (for example, an HTML editor) in which case the
encoding should be settable in an inspector instead of or in addition to the
Save panel.