On Sep 22, 2011, at 17:24 , Charles Srstka wrote:

> Sure there can be a “new or enhanced” UTI system, as long as its (rather
> simple) interfaces continue to work with current applications. Since the
> behind-the-scenes of how the UTI system detects what types of files is
> abstracted away, it can be changed at any time with no ill effects.

Sorry, I expressed myself badly. I was just suggesting that the abstraction
isn't *driving* any desire to adopt UTIs. At best it's a small side benefit.

> Not necessarily. The lesson learned from that situation was that Apple can’t
> go out and solve this kind of problem all on its own. If they go out and work
> together with the other vendors, the situation could change. If I’m correctly
> informed, WinFS was going to be capable of storing file types, and assuming
> Microsoft ever does get something like this working, Apple and MS could work
> out a cross-platform standard.

By all means, let's have a cross-platform standard. Let's do whatever it takes,
let's bribe politicians, let's have a Million Nerd March from Redmond to
Cupertino and then to planet Xanadu (or wherever the centroid of Unix
development is these days). But this would take years, probably a generation,
especially when you factor in the time for widespread adoption of a new
standard. I'm not saying don't do it, I just don't agree with characterizing
the situation as "we're practically there, we just have a few cross-platform
mechanisms to implement".

Still, I was wrong before. We *already* have a compatible cross-platform
metadata store -- extensions. The problem isn't that we don't have the
cross-platform technology. The problem is that that it's really, really bad as
a mechanism for storing what you call file types.

> Even assuming the status quo of flat files + extensions stays forever,
> though, there are still things you can do with UTIs. The most obvious is to
> analyze the file’s contents to determine what type of file it is. There are
> plenty of file types out there that can be identified by examining the first
> few bytes of the file — it would not be very difficult to augment the UTI
> system to take those into account when determining the type of a file, and as
> SSDs become more prevalent, the performance penalty for doing so will
> decrease significantly.

IOW, the first 4 bytes of a file are, in many cases, file-type pseudo-metadata.
That would only be helpful if there were a reliable way of knowing whether this
information was present, but there isn't. It seem to me that guessing just
makes a bigger mess.

I also think that requiring a file to be opened (and read) in order to obtain
metadata is going to suffer some serious technical pushback. You couldn't, for
example, determine the type of a file that was exclusively opened by a
different process. Etc.