Sticking to the lowest common denominator only to cater for other filesystems
sound like a bad idea to me - we'll be stuck with 8.3 filenames then.

I think the way this was solved in BeOS was pretty nice.  A file had a
type/creator code there as a special attribute.  A file "inherited" from a
different platform would be sniffed by a low-priority background thread, which
employed several heuristics to determine the file type - looking at magic bytes
in the header, or looking at the file extension as a last resort.  Files which
already had the attributes were left alone.

Even if the sniffer thread couldn't tell Objective-C files and Matlab files
apart, you could say all your .m files are Objective-C source code files and
manually change the attribute for the Matlab .m files you have lying around (or
the other way around, depending on which is more prevalent).

I even believe the paricular Be engineer responsible for the file system work
at Apple nowadays (hello dbg!)

Cheers,