On Sep 23, 2011, at 5:56 AM, Rainer Brockerhoff wrote:

> Good point, Charles. On the other hand, I was in this exact situation some
> years ago - not only having to list all apps, but also having to distinguish
> which were Classic and which were not (and exclude command-line apps) - and
> it turned out the UTI algorithm wasn't sufficient for that, so I had to my
> own.
>
> In defense of UTIs, they were new at the time and the algorithm didn't cover
> all those possibilities.... and now in Lion, with Classic deprecated for so
> long, it probably no longer covers them all either. PowerPC-only apps may be
> dropped out in 10.8, who knows.

In Lion, the types are all covered. The non-APPL classic types like APPE, cdev,
etc. are in com.apple.deprecated-application-file, which is a subtype of
com.apple.application.

I see no reason for them to ever remove that from the type system, as it
wouldn’t gain anything, and would make it no longer possible to put up a nice
dialog box explaining to users why an old app won’t run if they try it.