But probably that bad feeling is self-inflicted ...

At least for standard views or controls, if there is a need to redisplay, the
property in question should probably belong to a model object not a view
object. And in that case your object would not observe its *own* property but a
property of the model object - and this observation then would trigger a
display refresh. MVC+KVO.

I hope I am not too wide off the mark.