On Oct 20, 2011, at 2:45 PM, Lee Ann Rucker wrote:

> You're trying to see changes made by other apps, right? I don't think you're
> going to see these notifications, then, and also Lion's fullscreen moves the
> window into its own special Mission Control Space, so I'd think your window
> would be left behind on the original Space.

In that case maybe it's not necessary to do anything in 10.7 (at least for apps
that implement the new full screen mode). I haven't even tested on 10.7 yet
which I'll do soon.

> In 10.6 (and 10.7) it's NSApplication presentationOptions. I've never tried
> to detect another app's changes to them, though.

I did actually read about this. I'm new to Cocoa so I wasn't sure if I was
doing it right but the NSApplication docs suggest I can observe the value of
currentSystemPresentationOptions. My tests didn't get the method invoked I set
to observe but I like I said this could be because the app I was testing
(QuickTime Player) didn't enter full screen via NSApplication's
presentationOptions. I posted what the docs say at the end. But how to do I
know if the app in full screen mode actually uses this API? It doesn't seem
reliable even if I did figure out the KVO system in Cocoa correctly.

One other idea is getting a notification if the menu bar was hidden since this
usually means an app went into full screen mode but I can't find that
notification either.

-------

These are the presentation options that have been put into effect by the
currently active application.

This method is key-value observable.

A client that observes currentSystemPresentationOptions will receive
notifications when

        • The client is the active application, and makes a change itself using
either setPresentationOptions: or SetSystemUIMode.
        • Another application is active, and makes presentation changes of its
own.
        • Another application becomes active and causes the active set of
presentation options to change.
Key-value observing notifications are not sent when one of the above conditions
occur, but has the same set of presentation options as the previously active
application.

Regards,
        Ryan Joseph
        thealchemistguild.com