On Oct 23, 2011, at 2:13 PM, Martin Hewitson wrote:

>> That gives quite a lot of information about how Core Data SQLite databases
>> are supposed to work in iCloud. Indeed iCloud itself doesn't do anything
>> much different with them, it continues to just keep files in sync, the
>> difference here is that your Core Data SQLite store is kept locally in a
>> directory which doesn't sync to iCloud, however the store is set up with an
>> extra couple of keys in the persistent store options, one of which points to
>> a log directory where there's a log file for each update to the database,
>> and those do sync. Clearly that reduces each individual sync data usage as
>> only one new file is copied. iCloud itself doesn't do anything with those,
>> however when you open the store on a new device the latest logs are applied
>> to the local database on that device, bringing it up to date. Similarly when
>> you open a document for the first time on a new device, it creates a new
>> local SQLite database and populates it.
>
> OK, I wonder if that's what it does for a shoebox app as well?

Yes - that's how it's supposed to work for a shoebox app too, you just have one
big database instead of one per-document, but still you get logfile type
updates. I expect shoebox apps are going to have more issues with conflicts
however.

> Thanks for all the information. It seems we are quite a way from routine
> iCloud integration.
>
> Martin

No problem - they were just my distilled notes really from having read around
the subject for a few days. I also agree that we're a way from iCloud
integration being routine, but it's a great framework and I think when people
have written a few helper classes around it and gotten over the setup issues,
we'll see quite a lot of iCloud enabled apps. I feel the way it is right now is
similar to how it used to be getting an iOS provisioning profile set up,
downloaded and integrated into your app, now that's easy and mostly
transparent. Some more documentation from Apple and a few examples I think will
ease things a bit .. once they fix whatever issues the people on that long
thread are having with the actual technology.