On Nov 7, 2011, at 5:11 PM, Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
> This is for the iOS.  Do iOS devices have hardware-acellerated video?
> My profiling with Instruments suggests that they don't because of the
> amount of time that the iOS spends doing block fills on behalf of my
> App.

They do. However, "hardware acceleration" is not as simple as "blit from main
memory is fast".

> Before I started writing iOS code I did embedded systems development
> and Mac OS X device drivers.  In both of those environments, Failure
> Is Not An Option.  While you can certainly run out of memory or
> encounter other errors, one just has to back out gracefully.

This turns out not to be practical in a complex layered application
environment. How do you even begin to write recovery code when any method
dispatch could fail? How do you test it?

> It's quite likely that much of our tests in the Simulator that should
> fail really don't because OS X has far more reasources than is
> available to the iOS, and little or no effort is made to limit the
> resources available to simulated Apps.

The simulator and the device differ in many ways, including but not limited to
CPU speed, GPU speed, physical memory size, virtual memory layout, and
filesystem case sensitivity. You must test on real devices too.

--
Greg Parker     gpar...@apple.com     Runtime Wrangler