I just filed a bug report that includes a minimal test case, in which
all the calls to calloc() are made from within main().  There are no
calls of any sort to Objective-C methods or any use of Cocoa Touch
classes.

   rdar://10417644

I don't REALLY need to exhaust my App's memory space.  What I really
need to do is find out how much memory I can safely allocate.  I would
have expected to do that by allocating as much memory as the user asks
for, then backing out gracefully if any of the allocations failed.

It would be enough if there were some way I could check ahead of time
how much I can safely allocate, without actually trying to allocate
it.  Is there an API for that?

My App seems to be getting killed without any UNIX signals being
delivered to it.  GDB is unaware that the process has terminated after
it has been killed.

As I said before the Simulator does the right thing.  In the
Simulator, I get these messages in GDB:

    No_Cocoa_Touch(1834) malloc: *** mmap(size=16777216) failed (error code=12)
    *** error: can't allocate region

I can set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break when I run on a device,
but that breakpoint is never hit.

A bad workaround would be to just empirically determine how much
memory is safe to allocate by trying various grid sizes.  A binary
search would determine that pretty quickly for each of my devices.
But that is not the desired solution, because future hardware models
will likely have more physical RAM.  Also the amount that can be
safely allocated would depend on how much is left over from other
processes, and so could not be counted upon to be any particular fixed
amount.

--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Dulcinea Technologies Corporation