> No it can't. @property only says "I have methods named -foo and -setFoo:". It
> implies absolutely nothing about storage.

How does

 @property (nonatomic, assign) IBOutlet NSWindow *window;

not have the information that there would need to be an ivar

 NSWindow *window;

on 32-bit?

>> FWIW I check on the llvm IRC channel and the response was "I wouldn't
>> be surprised if there are annoying edge cases, but offhand I don't see
>> any reason it couldn't be done."
>
> If it could've been done, they would have done it. The fragile base class
> problem is a well-understood aspect of language design, and the compiler team
> is full of smart people.

FWIW the guy was from Apple. Quoting more "as far as I know the
decision to tie omitted ivars to non-fragile ivars was more one of
available engineering time and source compatibility than one of
technical possibility"

cheers,
Torsten