On Nov 16, 2011, at 01:08 , Stefan Werner wrote:

> Any application compiled today will have a constant number in place of
> NSWindowCollectionBehaviorFullScreenPrimary. If the OS at some point changes
> the meaning of that number, it will break all applications compiled before
> that date.

Yes, I do (and did) understand this point. However, it is not (for example)
impossible that a later OS version may expect a different constant, and either
check the executable for being linked against certain SDK versions, or treat
the "old" value in some kind of compatibility mode. Under such scenarios, a
change of constant value could be accommodated.

Of course, this sort of thing would be unlikely in such a simplistic case as a
single constant value, but the underlying point remains valid. It's just not
safe to define your own SDK (or even fragment of an SDK). Of course, developers
do it; that doesn't make it safe.

> That is a practice I consider just as dangerous. It is very easy to end up
> using APIs that are newer than your minimum supported version and forgetting
> to add the run-time check. Mac OS will allow you to run that application on
> lower OS versions, but at best it will not behave as intended, but it is also
> quite likely to crash.

Yes, it's easy to make a mistake, and there's no compile-time safety net, as I
already acknowledged. Nevertheless, this is the technically correct way to do
it.