On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 10:32:49 -0800, Kyle Sluder <kyle.slu...@gmail.com> said:
>On Dec 24, 2011, at 10:04 AM, Matt Neuburg <m...@tidbits.com> wrote:

>I'm under the impression that the default segues consult the
>definesPresentationContext property to configure the actual animation. I could
>of course be mistaken.

I doubt need to "consult" anything. The default segues call what you would have
called, e.g. presentViewController. How that works is how that works (and that,
indeed, is what I was trying to figure out).

>I was unaware that you were offering the draft of your book for free. Thanks
>very much for the link.

You bet. Not the whole book, alas; O'Reilly would kneecap me if I did that. But
the best chapters, for sure. Plus the code is available for download, including
*all* the revised code I've done (even from chapters I can't display in
public), at my github repository.

>Your use of the Music app as an example of view controller presentation
>puzzles me, though. In my app, I was trying to use the
>definesPresentationContext property to cause a "push" transition to affect
>just a view inside a tab bar item inside a navigation controller. Instead, no
>matter what I tried, the entire root view controller (the navigation
>controller) was always replaced. Is this because I was on the iPhone?

Yes.

> Your book seems to imply that UIModalPresentationCurrentContext is only
> meaningful on the iPad since the root view controller is always the
> presentingViewController.

If the book just "seems to imply" this, I'm writing it wrong! I believe I'm
jumping up and down and screaming this. Let me know if you think the
presentation (sorry, bad pun) can be made clearer.

And in fact among the downloadable examples I just mentioned is a project
that's a universal app constructed in order to demonstrate *exactly* the
situation you just described. Plus the chapter I pointed you to has the code. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = m...@tidbits.com, <http://www.apeth.net/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!