I see no merit in trying to make a "minimal" document based app, whatever that
is. It's usually misguided to try and build UI in code, it saves you nothing
and makes it much harder to get anywhere.

Just start a new Cocoa app and use the project template for a document based
app. It gives you the necessary starting points, which though it adds a nib,
it's extremely small. There is nothing to be gained by going some other route.

--Graham