I can add to this. For a long time we followed Apple's advice and had a black
screen with tabs at the bottom much like the built-in apps do for our launch
screen. Then one release we changed it to be more like a book cover with our
logo on it. Nothing else changed. Yet we got an enormous amount of feedback
that startup had become slow. The reason? People saw the image of the book
cover and not the image of a UI. There was zero difference, but the perception
was there.

We're moving back to the old screen.

On May 15, 2012, at 3:35 PM, Jens Alfke wrote:

> On May 15, 2012, at 1:15 PM, Alex Zavatone wrote:
>
>> Right after clicking on an app's icon, the splash screen/launch screen shows
>> that the device has indeed paid attention to you and responded in the manner
>> you expected, namely, the application has launched and is proceeding to load.
>> I can not see how this is a bad idea.
>
> It’s psychological. Splash screens make the launch time *seem* slower. The
> screen is in the user’s face saying “Hi! I’m starting up now but I can’t
> listen to you for a while because I’m really slow at launching, so just
> admire our spiffy logo while you’re waiting. Check out the lens flare! Your
> usage is super important to us, so just hang on until we actually finish
> setting everything up. It’s almost ready now…”

Alex Kac - President and Founder
Web Information Solutions, Inc.

"Forgiveness is not an occasional act: it is a permanent attitude."
-- Dr. Martin Luther King