On May 27, 2012, at 21:55 , Graham Cox wrote:

> users getting used to a nice feature that makes their apps easier to use

Of course, but that's one of sharp, hard-to-swallow corners. Insecure is
insecure.

> I guess what pains me is that Apple have not as yet provided a sanctioned way
> to implement this feature.

AFAIK, you can still submit an un-sandboxed app and *request* an exemption
until Apple provides an appropriate entitlement. Perhaps you might get it.
Perhaps the need to access the iPhoto library might fall into this category.

Perhaps Apple might ask if you submitted a bug report asking for a new kind of
entitlement for your situation, sometime in the year or so since the sandboxing
requirement was first announced. :)

(I don't think the sandbox-aware bookmark thing was available till long after
the original must-enable-sandboxing deadline of Nov 2011. I'm guessing it was
only conceived after a bunch of complaints.)

> I could understand it to a degree if there was a major issue right now with
> malware using this sort of thing to do its dirty work that needed to be shut
> down urgently, but AFAICS, it's a non-issue in practice.

You mean like uploading the user's entire iOS contacts DB to a developer's own
server? Or storing the user's cell tower connection history in a file? Those
made apps easier to use. Made lawyers richer, too.

P.S. I'm not picking on your specifically. Call me a glass-quarter-full kind of
person, but I think we (developers in general, over the past 50 years, not Mac
developers specifically) have proved *repeatedly* that we can't be trusted to
put user convenience first without creating truck-sized security holes. FWIW.